River Ulhas- A perennial river starts flowing from Karjat, supplies drinking water up to Badlapur.
From Ambernath to Thane it changes into a critically polluted drain.
1. Samplings done at various locations.
Analysis and research reveals startling amounts of pollutants.
2. Issue highlighted in the media.
3. Interactions with MPCB over two months reveal that the Board is
not keen on helping to clean and revive the river.
4. Case moved to the NGT.
1. NGT orders industries that are polluting to shut down.
2. IIT and NEERI ordered to give restoration plan.
3. State Environment Department constitutes committee with MPCB, IIT and Vanashakti as members to restore the river.
4. NGT in its judgement imposed a collective fine of Rs 100 Cr on various civic bodies and industrial associations.
The judgement was challenged in the Bombay HC by the respondents. . We challenged the maintainability of this writ in the HC and subsequently moved the SC. Matter is pending at the SC.